In the Bible the Deacons were men of particular gift and spirit life who oversaw the practical needs of the fellowship so that other leaders could dedicate themselves to word ministry and prayer (Acts 6:1-7).
[Picture - our leaders having fun - a sack race on our Fun Day]
The Deaconate have the following particular areas of responsibility:
- Operations - Rotas. Human resources, CRB, Set-up and Tear-down for services, Catering, AV & Sound, Health & Safety
- Communications - 'brand' & logo, literature, website, notice sheets, posters & banners, press releases, care list distribution
- Programmes - Church Diary, Fellowship Directory, Events & Meeting scheduling, Events Committee, Speaker bookings, Home Group coordination
- Finance - Building finance, Charity Commission, Budgeting, Banking, Reporting, Auditing, PAYE, Lettings & leases, HMRC, Contracts
- Building Care - Building project, Maintenance, Grounds, Cleaning, Car parking
- Missionary - liaison with the Missionary Secretary in regard to Missionary liaison, Annual Missionary reviews, Missionary giving allocation, Gift Day, Missionary speakers and monthy missionary prayer meeting
Michael Dukes has been involved in youth discipleship for many years. In his working life, Michael is a financial advisor for a big name bank. A deacon since 2015, Michael serves as the Church Administrator.
Peter has had years of experience in church leadership, and is currently also involved in leading the older teenage youth club the Walton Home Group. Peter has oversight of Finance.
Robin has been in leadership in a number of churches. A Deacon since 2009, Robin brings many practical gifts to the role of Deacon. His present responsibility is oversight and liaison with Missions support.
Newcomers, Assimilation and Membership
Scott has been a deacon since 2015. He is a self-emplyed carpenter in his working life, and in the church is involved in worship and has led youth work. Scott has oversight of Newcomers, Assimilation and Membership.
Chris has attended Street Baptist Church since 1961. He has previously served as a deacon for many years, holding the offices of Treasurer and Administrator. A retired Financial Director, Chris has more recently been involved with the building project.
Steve has been attending Street Baptist Church for over 30 years and served as a deacon between 2008-2014. Steve's working life has been spent in Marketing management and he brings the gifts of marketing and communications to the team.